Why We Assess
Assessment in Serve-Learn-Sustain serves three primary purposes:
- To assess achievement of SLS’s Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- To use data for continuous program improvement
- To provide data for our accrediting organization, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), that supports our assertions about SLS’s results. Click here to learn more.
How SLS Assessment Works
Assessment Partners Program:
Serve-Learn-Sustain works with a select group of SLS-affiliated faculty from across all GT colleges as Assessment Partners. Assessment Partners collaborate with SLS to better integrate assessment into their courses to enrich student learning and also assist SLS with our assessment work related to a particular Student Learning Outcome.
Assessment Partners identify one SLS Student Learning Outcome (SLO) to assess in their SLS-affiliated course, through one activity resulting in a student work product (exam question, project, or other assignment). They assess this activity using a rubric provided by SLS, developed by SLS with a team of SLS-affiliated faculty. Then, they share these student work products and completed rubric with SLS at the end of the semester.
Assessment Partners are also invited to:
- Take part in scoring sessions of students’ work, in early Spring and/or early Summer
- Join other Assessment Partners for a debrief session to share your assessment experience, learn ideas from others for improving assessment moving forward, and provide input to SLS on improving our Assessment Partner program
- Attend assessment workshops that SLS offers on topics such as: (to be determined by group interest)
- Backwards Course Design - using learning outcomes to structure your course
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning - giving guidance on publishing on your teaching
Benefits to You:
- Advance your skills around course assessment
- Enhance student learning
- Collect data that you can use for research and publishing on pedagogy
- Get to know other faculty from across campus who are interested in teaching and assessment
Contact Jennifer Hirsch, Director